Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Quilting Adventures, Part 2

Part 2 is....the finished product! Yes, I actually sewed it together, quilted it, and bound it! All by myself! It's all warm and snuggly and laying on our couch, ready for those cruel Florida winters... (Hey, it does actually get cold-ish here!)


I was concerned about getting the spray-basting on our floor, so I went the traditional route of making the quilt sandwich on floor with curved safety pins to hold everything together. I also think I scared our poor dog to the point that she was afraid to walk near it because I freaked out on her a couple of times after she tried to walk on it and lay on it. (Sorry, Stella!)
I went simply with outlining the squares and rectangles for my quilting for a couple of reasons: Mainly because I don't really know how to do much else that stitch in the ditch and outline, but also because I love this fabric so much that I didn't want a crazy quilting stich to detract from it.
I did a decorative stitch around the binding to add a little pop. Thanks to the internet, mitering the corners was easy! However, binding lessons learned for next time: go with a narrower binding and probably skip the decorative stitching. It actually gave me a TON of trouble with skipped stitches and an inconsistent stitch length. I could never figure out what the problem was. I cleaned the machine, I changed the needles, I switched bobbins--nothing seemed to work. You can't really tell unless you look closely, though, so that's all that matters, right? Right?

But, through it all, persistence prevails! 
And now, the finished quilt! 



I'm pretty happy with it! I learned a lot while I was making it, and can't wait to snuggle with it on the couch this winter! 

No comments :

Post a Comment