Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Sorbetto

It is hot here in northeast Mississippi. Like, ridiculously hot. The heart of summer is upon us, and I've found myself hiding indoors and in need of new summer-y shirts! Probably one of the most-often made tops in the sewing world today is the Sorbetto from Colette Patterns. It's easy, it's cute, and the best part: the pattern is free! The Sorbetto has been on my to-make list for awhile, and now that summer is upon us, now is the time to break out this adorable and versatile tank top!

This picture looks familiar... :)

Since it was my first time with the pattern, I made it as-written with the box pleat down the front with a beautiful red and white eyelet that I had originally planned for a skirt. (Skirt, shirt, whatever! I think I like it better as a shirt.) I even liked the "wrong" side of the fabric so much that I used it as the bias tape (well, a bias tape-ish thing....the fabric DID NOT want to press into bias tape) and as epaulets. I was going to use a gray lace trim down the sides of the box pleats, but I had to channel my inner Tim Gunn and edit down a little. I think that the fabric stands boldly enough on it's own! 



The best part about the Sorbetto is that it is so versatile. I can't wait to play around with this pattern! Just a quick search on Pinterest for Sorbetto shows added sleeves and collars, alternative pleating ideas, different types of fabric, and even a dress! This definitely will not be the last you see of the Sorbetto. 

And just because Google decided to make an animation of the pictures from our little photo shoot, for your viewing pleasure: 


Stay cool and happy sewing!

No comments :

Post a Comment