Friday, July 25, 2014

Love Those Leftovers: Potato & Burger Skillets

I was inspired by an episode of Chopped I watched yesterday. Have you ever seen that show?? "Here's a pack of cherry cough drops, quail eggs, chocolate chip cookies, and a block of limburger....make a main course!" Okay, so it's not quite that bad, but in the episode I watched, the chefs had to create their courses entirely out of leftovers. It was amazing some of the things they came up with that actually looked pretty good out of some crazy things like lasagna and stale donuts!

I confess, I've been dying to use these 6-in skillets since I found them in my grandpa's barn last spring! They were all rusted and dirty, but it's amazing what a little sanding and oiling can do!

Not that I'm claiming to be anywhere near the caliber of a professional chef, but it did inspire me to get a little more creative with our leftovers. Nothing makes me feel worse than throwing out food. What a waste! But sometimes you just really don't want cold hamburgers or day-old lasagna. So for my first leftover makeover, I actually had it pretty easy with the leftovers I had to work with. The hubs cooked hamburgers and fries last night, and we had some of both left.  And the Hamburger Hash Skillet was born!

I made my hashes in individual skillets, but you can easily use one big skillet. This recipe served two, and it works well for breakfast or dinner!

Hamburger Hash Skillet
2 tsp canola oil
About 2 cups leftover french fries, cut into cubes (or frozen hash browns if you want to skip the leftovers)
2 leftover hamburger patties, chopped or crumbled (or browned sausage would work)
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
2-3 eggs
1/2 shredded cheese (I used an italian blend)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Note: Evenly divide the ingredients if using two skillets. 

Heat the canola oil in your skillet(s) over medium low heat. Sauté the fries/hash browns, hamburger, and scallions until warm.  Salt and pepper as needed. Add the spinach and cook until wilted.

Remove the skillet(s) from heat and set the broiler on high. Crack the eggs into the skillet--as many as you'd like per skillet--, salt and pepper the eggs, and sprinkle with cheese. Place in the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted.

Preferably the yolk will still be runny, but you can cook the egg until your desired doneness.

Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment