Monday, February 27, 2012

Tofu Lettuce Wraps

I have a confession. I ate tofu. I even cooked tofu. And I liked it.

I feel like I've reached some sort of terrifying and life-changing right of passage buy admitting to even associating with tofu. Tofu has always been a highly-stigmatized west-coast dish that was only eaten by hippies, and I've always been slightly terrified of it because it can take on so many forms. Tofu just.... isn't natural. And weird. And gross-looking. I felt like a small piece of me died buying it, though I was pleasantly surprised the Walmart in New Albany carries tofu...much less organic tofu. (It was actually my only option).



To embrace my new vegetarian lifestyle, though, I decided I must conquer and embrace the creepy-looking tofu. Luckily, the Pioneer Woman posted a recipe from her past vegetarian life in honor of Ash Wednesday, and I found my window of opportunity.

Without further adieu, Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps for One:
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/4 of about 12-14 oz. package  Firm Tofu
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels)
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 4 Leaves of Romaine Lettuce Hearts
(I forgot to add this part to mine:)
  • 2 whole Avocados, Sliced
  • 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Throw in the tofu, then break it up into very small pieces.

 Ewww....I know it looks gross. Stay with me.


Cook tofu for several minutes, until much of the liquid cooks off and tofu starts to turn golden, then throw the corn in with the tofu and cook for a few minutes.

Looking better...

Add chili powder and soy sauce, then cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Now it looks like chicken!


Are we looking edible yet? Quite tasty, actually.

So there you have it. I cooked tofu, I ate tofu, and I liked tofu. Am I a real vegetarian now?

 Note: The original recipe serves 6.

No comments :

Post a Comment